Protecting Your Ability to Drive With A Strong Legal Defense
Michigan’s drunk driving laws are some of the toughest in the country. Drinking and driving-related offenses are commonly known as:
- DUI (driving under the influence)
- OWI (operating while intoxicated)
- OWI causing serious injury
- OWI causing death
- OUIL (operating a motor vehicle under the influence of intoxicating liquor)
- OWVI (operating while visibly impaired)
- OUID (operating while under the influence of drugs)
- MIP (minor in possession)
- DWLS (driving while license suspended)
These laws that were formerly full of loopholes have been “fine-tuned” by the legislature and contain increased punishment. If you have been accused of or charged with drunk driving, turn to an attorney at THE WOLF LAW FIRM for aggressive DUI/OWI defense. We serve clients in the Detroit metro area and beyond.
Conducting A Thorough Investigation Of Your Charge
Our lawyers know the complexities of Michigan drunk driving laws and can help you understand your rights and defenses regarding this type of offense, and the resulting driver’s license actions by the secretary of state.
We utilize our years of experience to conduct our own thorough investigation into your case. Our firm strives to defend individuals against wrongful accusations by examining all aspects of the situation, including:
- Any blood alcohol content (BAC) or blood alcohol level (BAL) results
- The procedure through which the BAC/BAL results were obtained and the tools used to take the sample
- The circumstances upon which the police pulled you over
- Any search and seizure issues that may apply
- Law enforcement procedures regarding interrogation
Whether you were drinking at a friend’s house, downtown or at Ford Field, law enforcement is cracking down on individuals who drink and drive. Boaters are also under scrutiny, as OWI applies to individuals who are in control of watercraft on any of our area’s many lakes.
Fines, court costs, Michigan secretary of state license sanctions and increased insurance premiums mandate that you obtain experienced and competent counsel.
The Michigan Super Drunk Law
Your first offense is usually a misdemeanor. However, this does not mean that you should take these charges lightly. Some judges are sentencing first offenders to jail and assessing significant fines and costs.
Taking effect in 2010, the Michigan Super Drunk Law enhanced sanctions on drivers with high blood alcohol content (BAC) who have no prior OWI convictions for the past seven years. The law revised the definition of drunk driving to include drivers with a BAC of .17 percent or higher. If convicted under the Super Drunk Law, you could face harsher penalties such as stiffer fines, increased jail time and mandatory implementation of an ignition interlock device for a year. If you have been charged with an OWI for the first time and you have a BAC of .17 percent or higher, turn to our Lake Orion law firm for aggressive DUI defense.
Multiple Offenses Lead To Harsher Punishments
Our attorneys also represent individuals who have been charged with multiple DUI/OWI offenses. If you have been charged with a second or subsequent DUI/OWI, you face penalties that are even more serious:
- Increased jail time
- Prison sentence for up to five years
- Driver’s license revocation
- Mandatory implementation of an ignition interlock device
- Vehicle forfeiture and/or immobilization
- Increased fines and fees
When Intoxicated Driving Results In Serious Injury Or Death
If you have seriously injured or caused the death of another person while operating a vehicle while intoxicated, you face a felony charge and increased punishment. A DUI/OWI causing serious injury or death may result in imprisonment for five to 15 years.
We will fight hard to get your charges dismissed or reduced. If convicted of a DUI/OWI or related offense, we will also help you restore your driving privileges and other rights that have been taken away.